We will coordinate efforts with students and professors at UV-PR to develop hydrologic and hydraulic models.
There have been many flooding issues in the past for the Poza Rica community.
We plan to analyze a portion of the Cazones River with its
accompanying watersheds using WMS, HEC-RAS, and HEC-HMS. Using
this modeling procedure, the UV-BYU flood modeling team will become
more familiarized with the powerful resources these software programs
offer for water resource engineers.
In order to accomplish our objective, the following tasks have been outlined:
- data aquisition
- Elevation data, land use maps, soil type maps, aerial imagery
- Bridge cross-sections of Lazaro Cardenas and Ejercito
Mexicano accompanied with as many possible downstream and upstream
- As much stream gage data possible
- Rainfall data with differing return periods
- develop models and predict flooding events
- develop lesson plans and tutorials based off of provided data
- trip follow-up
The following are take-away items of this project:
- a final report
- a functional flood model of the Cazones River
- an outlook for future collaboration with our collegues in Poza Rica
- a good futbol match